Democracy and Tasty Treats at Faneuil Hall. Boston’s Faneuil Hall, which has been nicknamed “The Cradle of Liberty”, hosted. America’s first political town meeting. Since its construction by French Huguenotmerchant Peter Faneuil in 1742, the hall has served as a shelter for sheep, a livelymarketplace, and a center for free speech.
From the start, the hall’s activities have been divided by floor. The first floor briefly held. African sheep herded from New Hampshire; a sheep shortage soon brought that programto a halt. Since 1748, the first floor has served as a public marketplace; Peter Faneuilencouraged pushcart vendors to permanently set up shop. The second floor has longfeatured the meeting hall, though it was briefly converted a theater during the Britishoccupation of 1774.
The first public meeting held at Faneuil was actually on the occasion of Peter Faneuil’sdeath; his eulogy was read at the hall. Revolutionaries later used the site to protest King. George’s taxes and to pen the famous doctrine concerning “no taxation withoutrepresentation”. Following the Boston Massacre, the public filled the hall to capacity todiscuss the event. The patriot orator Samuel Adams gave an impassioned speech, and twoyears later, he would there initiate the first Committee of Correspondence. That meetingof colonial representatives is commonly considered the beginning of the American. Revolution. Today, a statue of Sam Adams stands outside the Hall.
As time went on, Faneuil Hall continued to be a popular political forum. Suffragist Lucy. Stone and abolitionists such as Frederick Douglass and William Lloyd Garrison drewcrowds in the 1800s. In the past century, Ted Kennedy and Bill Clinton have helped itmaintain the “Cradle of Liberty” nickname.
Architecturally, Faneuil Hall has undergone several expansions and restorations. First,the entire building was razed in a 1761 fire. It was quickly rebuilt in time to hear earlyrevolutionaries’ speeches in 1762. Next, the building was significantly expanded in 1806.
America’s first native-born architect, Charles Bulfinch, doubled the hall’s height andwidth. He added galleries around the second floor assembly room and added a third floor.
Twenty years later, additional construction expanded the Quincy Market. This meat andproduce market had been drawing more and more vendors and customers. By the mid-1900s, however, the building had fallen into disrepair and was losing public interest.
Major restoration saved Faneuil Hall in the 1970s. This urban renewal was among thefirst in American cities and inspired other projects nationwide.
One architectural element that has remained constant is a 38-pound gilded coppergrasshopper! It’s the centerpiece of the building’s weathervane. Peter Faneuilcommissioned an artist to create this grasshopper; he was inspired by one that sat atop the. Royal Exchange’s pinnacle in London. Thus, for colonial merchants the Faneuil Hallweathervane was a symbol of Old World commerce. The grasshopper became so well-known to northerners that when someone suspected a spy during the Revolution, they’dask, “What sits atop Faneuil Hall?.” Those who didn’t know were deemed likely Britishagents.
Today’s Faneuil Hall Marketplace refers to a group of four buildings: Faneuil Hall,Quincy Market, North Market and South Market. The marketplace has pubs, restaurants,and more than 125 vendors offering a wide variety of food and crafts. Each year morethan 15 million people visit the market. The popular landmark is listed on the National. Register of Historic Places and is now part of Boston National Historical Park.